Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Make a Difference this Holiday Season...

Tis the season for Holiday Craziness. Is it just me, or do you sometimes feel like we kinda click on auto-pilot to make it through the Season? Do you think it is because we get all caught up in making all the parties, baking goodies, deciding what to buy everyone, shopping, shopping and more shopping, holiday programs, Choosing matching outfits for the family pic for the Christmas card, taking that perfect family pic, composing the Christmas Card, sending them out, trying to consume as much eggnog as physically possible because it is a seasonal item and you feel as though you must enjoy as much as possible because soon it will be gone for another year?... Maybe just me on that last one.

I think sometimes I get so caught up in the Holiday-ness that I might forget to stop and remember what this holiday is really about. The birth of our Savior. Not Santa, though he is fun, and I do love me a jolly old man. Wait. That didn't sound like I meant it to. Point is, I really feel like we need to take back this holiday and put the focus where it was meant to be, on Jesus. On doing as he would want us to do. Putting HIM first. Doing unto others. Oh and forgiving.. didn't we go over that a few posts ago? Just thought it was worth mentioning again. ;)

Christmas time is truly my most favorite time of the year. I love the lights. I love the music. I love the smells. I love that there always seems to be an endless supply of goodies around. And I LOVE how everyone is so cheerful. I think it is because they are giving. It just makes you feel so good to give!!! People just exude joy at this time. And it is catchy. Man I love Christmas.

So wouldn't it be cool if you could find away to bless more people than just the person you are gifting to? A way to multiply the blessing. Most of us have a long list of people to buy for... family members, co-workers, teachers, bus-drivers, lunch ladies(men), mail persons, etc. etc. etc.... Wow. That is a lot of people to bless. How Fun!

So here is what I am proposing, how about making a donation on their behalf to the charity of your choice. That way you not only will be blessing the recipient of your gift by doing something charitable on their behalf, but you will be able to bless those whom the donation will go to help. NOW think of how many people you could end up blessing. WOW-zers. That is some cool stuff there.

Pick a charity that is near and dear to your heart and make a donation in the amount, or more if the pocket book allows, to what you would have spent on all of the gifts combined. Did I just say pocket book? Anyways... then spend an afternoon with your loved ones baking some cookies. Good quality time. This just keeps getting better. Bag those bad boys up, tie a ribbon around them with a tag attached that say, " This year we have chosen to make a donation in your honor to _____. "

Its a win-win-win-win-win-win-win-win... Saves you time deciding what to get each person. Saves you time you would have spent schlepping all around town purchasing the gifts. You get to spend quality time with loved ones baking goodies. You get to eat the leftover goodies. Your children(presuming you have kiddos) will learn a valuable lesson about the importance of keeping the focus on what matters. The person you are gifting will love your thoughtfulness. (trust me) Money will go to a good cause verses another "thing" we might not really need. And in this simple act, you will have multiplied your blessing. Cool stuff. See win-win-win-win-win-win-win-win. That's a lot of Blessing and Winning going on. Not a bad deal, eh?

So I was thinking, if you wanted to join me in my bless-win-athon Christmas Extravaganza-Palooza 08 (huh?) , you could just send me the info on the charity you decided to donate to and I will make up and send to you via e-mail, a little donation tag to give out to your peeps. You can just print it out, slap it on your goodies, and you are good to go. And when I say I will make it, I will have most likely found a way to convince my mad-talented , way more creative than I could even ever dream to be, friends into coming up with something for me to pass along to you. (Hi Michelle!! Hola Rebecca! Love you girls) ..For your sake, lets hope I do. :)

So won't you join me in our Blessathon?..(nope, still not it).

Hugs to you all~

Amie

10 heart smiles:

Giving Love Encounters said...

Sounds like a RAK Wednesday to me!
Count us in!!

I think we'll do Grace Connection (run by Karen and Sarah) -- I just got a letter in the mail from them today and was wondering where to fit them into the giving.

Perfect!

Michelle R Photography said...

Hi Amie,
I just love you girl. You have such a giving heart. And if, by chance, I'm the mad-talented friend, Michelle, you are referring to (NOT that I would assume that because that would be just WRONG!!), you know I'm always ready and willing to help you. Just let me know what you need and I can hook you up. (Yeah, just trying to throw around some cool lingo for you, girl.) lol

Hugs,
Michelle

Unknown said...

This year our family bought a lot of SAINTS COFFEE. I bag of the African coffee sells for $11. This will feed one African orphan for an entire month. go to www.saintscoffee.com It's awesome and everyone we know LOVES COFFEE!

HUGS,
DING DONG ADDICT :)

Unknown said...

PS, I got a blog makeover, come check it out

Suzie said...

This is a FABULOUS idea!

My siblings and I made a donation to Our Lady of Fatima Church in Chinle, AZ. in honor of our parents. They stopped at this church in the Navajo Nation for Sunday mass and a mass card. It is an extremely poor area.

After mass, Mom and Dad were invited to the hall to have breakfast with the parishioners. They sat with a nun, and she told them that they serve breakfast every Sunday and for many, it is the only real, full meal that they get all week. Mom and Dad were very touched by the whole thing and know that they probably don't receive many, if any donations ever.

They made a donation and received a hand written thank you note from the Reverand. He was so appreciative to my parents and wanted them to know all the good that their donation was doing for the parishioners.

I love that you are doing this.

Blessings to you and your family during this Christmas season and always.

Football and Fried Rice said...

This is a great idea!!!!!!

Share the love of HIM!

a Tonggu Momma said...

We do this every year with extended family. For example, this year I am buying my parents a flock through Heifer International. And - for my Aunt P, who really needs something in her hands - we are gifting her with some jars of specialty foods where honey is a main ingredient, along with a hive of honey bees through Heifer. And the Tongginator's teachers are getting rabbits. ;)

mommy24treasures said...

wonderful, we always sponsor a child through LWB for a yr for Christmas gift to one another and this year my babies rang the Salvation Army bell for 5 hours. Such a wonderful memory.

Beth E. said...

We are contributing to St. Jude Children's Hospital, a worthy cause near and dear to our hearts. Our friends/neighbors have a 4 yr. old son, Westin, who is currently receiving treatment for neuroblastoma. Click on Westin's button on my blog. It will take you directly to his website. He's an amazing little fella. His mom, Julie, writes some awesome journal entries.

Thanks for promoting a great idea! We all are so very blessed. This is an amazing opportunity to bless others in a powerful way.

Blessings to YOU...

Chasing Dreams Photography said...

I just love your spirit!!!! You know you can count me in on the giving..I actually give year round on a regular basis and then some...so I chose to support a few families in our school. : ) I also donated books to one charity for children in the hospital. I love to give!!!!!

About Me

My Photo
Amie
I am wife to my high school sweet heart and best friend and blessed mom of many, all of whom keep my arms filled and my heart full. We have been blessed with 10 kiddos...SO FAR! Our lives are CRAZY, and we LOVE it that way! We are crazy for Jesus, crazy for our family, and crazy passionate about the 147 million orphans who have no one to call their own. In our "free time" we help little ones home to their FOREVER FAMILIES, through our Non-profit LOVE THEM HOME. We also help others on their journey to HEALTH and FINANCIAL FREEDOM , as well as help Families Fundraiser for their adoptions as we "wrap others in love" through our home based business with IT WORKS GLOBAL! We are BLESSED, Indeed. And we LOVE being used by GOD to BLESS IT FORWARD!
View my complete profile

David 16

David 16

Katie 14

Katie 14

Matthew 11

Matthew 11

Samuel 10

Samuel 10

Allie 8

Allie 8

Grace 7

Grace 7

Hannah 7

Hannah 7

Johnathan 5

Johnathan 5

Caleb "Kai" 2

Caleb  "Kai"   2

Sophie Lu 23mos

Sophie Lu  23mos

The Gang

WILD OLIVE TEES

Wild Olive

WildOlivetees.com

Wild Olive
For information on how to sponser a child, contact Stefanie@wildolivetees.com

Help Them Home

For The Love Of A Child

147MillionOrphans.com

Amazima Ministries

Johnathan's Announcement Video (Pause Music )

Bible Gateway"s Verse of the Day

An Orphans Wish